WashBar began when our founder, Jules Smith, was asked to create a bar of soap to help a friend’s dog with skin allergies. When Jules realised what a difference that first bar made for Millie and her owner, she looked into who else she could help. She found loads of products made with nasty chemicals and synthetic fragrances and a lack of genuinely natural products for dogs and horses. The need was huge so WashBar was born.
From that day, the business has grown. We are now found in stores all across NZ as well as a growing global market.
From a single bar of soap, WashBar now has a range of products, all researched and developed in-house and manufactured in state of the art facilities in New Zealand. In addition to our current range, we have several ground-breaking products in development.
The key to it all is keeping it simple but effective – taking ingredients already created by Nature and blending them in a way that works best for pets.
Getting some recognition for what we're doing ...
We get loads of feedback from pet owners telling us how much they enjoy using our products and about the great results they get (which we love by the way). But it's also good to get feedback on how we're performing as a business.
Getting peer recognition and help with identifying areas for improvement is invaluable. And a little recognition goes a long way in encouraging us that we're getting it right.
- We won the Northland Regional award in the ANZ Flying Start Business Plan competition 2014
- We were Runner up in the Business NOT as usual category in the 2014 Innovate Northland Awards
- We won the Business Coaching New Zealand Best Emerging Business Award at the Westpac Northland Business Excellence Awards 2012.
- We won the Most Outstanding Fledgling Business category in The David Awards in 2012.
- We were a finalist at the Westpac Northland Business Excellence Awards 2011, in the Best Emerging Business category.
- We were pretty excited to get a Highly Commended at the 2011 Pride in Print Awards for our Original WashBar Soap for Dogs Display Unit.